* Opposition's No Confidence Motion Defeated in Lok Sabha
A No Confidence Motion, tabled by the Opposition against the government, was defeated in the Lok Sabha on August 10, 2023. The motion's dismissal followed Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi's commitment to ensuring peace in Manipur. He lamented the distressing violence and unacceptable crimes against women in Manipur, underlining ongoing endeavors by both central and state authorities to bring the perpetrators to justice.
* ‘Transforming Lives, Building Futures' Scheme Launched for North East Region The Ministry of Skill Development has unveiled a groundbreaking initiative aimed at transforming the North East Region through skill development and entrepreneurship. The scheme, titled ‘Transforming Lives, Building Futures’ aims tov impact around 2.5 lakh young individuals, creating a profound positive change for their future prospects. With a clear focus on holistic growth, the initiative provides a unique platform for youth in the North East to not only establish themselves in both domestic and international job markets but also to cultivate their entrepreneurial ambitions. Minister of Tourism, Culture and Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Shri. G Kishan Reddy has emphasised that this comprehensive approach will enable the region to harness its untapped potential in diverse sectors such as agriculture, horticulture, tourism, services, and information technology.
* PM Launches Railways Modernisation Effort in 508 Stations Prime Minister'Shri Narendra Modi has set the wheels in motion for a monumental transformation of the Indian Railways by laying the foundation stone for the redevelopment of 508 railway stations across the country. With an estimated cost exceeding Rs! 24,470 crores, this endeavor will rejuvenate railway stations in 27 States and Union Territories. Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan will see 55 stations each undergo redevelopment, followed by Bihar with 49 stations, Maharashtra with 44, and several other states contributing to this extensive modernisation effort The redeveloped stations, termed "Amrit Bharat Stations,” will serve as symbols of heritage and) pride, reflecting India's cultural diversity and rich history. The Prime Minister emphasised the integration of environmentally friendly practices into this modernisation drive, aiming for net-zero emissions in the railway network by 2030.
* G20 Ministerial Conference OutlinesGoals & Strategy on Women's Empowerment During the G20 Ministerial Conference on Women's Empowerment, held in Gujarat from August 2-4, 2023, delegates from G20 and guest countries converged to discuss tailored solutions across education, entrepreneurship, technology, finance. ThroughoutIndia's G20 Presidency, a key priority has been to support development led by women, considering their entire life journey instead of just empowering them. Through consensus-building on the global stage, India modelled a vision for progressiin uplifting women worldwide with seven in-person conferences and 86 international meetings including virtual meetings that witnessed the participation of over 300 delegates from 18 G20 countries and 7 Guest countries. India has also added focus Onsthe empowerment and recognition of women at the local or community level. Notably, 'TechEquity’ a digital inclusion platform, was unveiled to empower girls and women in digital and financial literacy
* IFFl Announces Inaugural Best Web Series (OTT) Award The International Film Festival of India (IFFl) has unveiled an exciting opportunity for online content creators and OTT platforms with the launch of the first-ever Best Web Series (OTT) Award. The award aims to celebrate the thriving world of OTT content and its creators while also spotlighting the narrative of a rising and aspirational 'New India.’ The winner of this prestigious award will be unveiled at the 54th edition of IFFl, scheduled to take place in Goa from November 20 to 28, 2023. This pioneering award seeks to foster innovation and growth within the Indian OTT industry, promoting regional diversity and creativity by recognising exceptional content produced in various Indian languages, while enhancing the Indian OTT sector's international footprint.
* Disclosures and Disclaimers Made Mandatory for Health & Wellness Influencers
The Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution has made it mandatory for health and fitness experts, celebrities, influencers, and virtual influencers, to ensure transparency and accuracy in their endorsements of health and wellness sector goods and services. According to the new directives, certified medical practitioners and health & fitness experts possessing legitimate certifications from recognised institutions must explicitly disclose their professional qualifications when sharing information, endorsing products or services, or making any healthrelated claims. Furthermore, celebrities, influencers, and virtual influencers who hold themselves out as health experts or medical practitioners are now obligated to provide clear and unambiguous disclaimers. These disclaimers are crucial in preventing the audience from misconstruing their endorsements as substitutes for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
* National Assembly Dissolved Paving Way for General Elections in Pakistan
Pakistan President Arif Alvi granted approval for the premature dissolution of the National Assembly on 10 August, 2023, acting upon the advice of outgoing Prime Minister.Shehbaz Sharif. The constitutional term of the elected government in Pakistan has concluded after a full five-year term. Consequently, the stage is now set for general electionsito be convened within the next 90 days. The forthcoming date for the polis will be announced by the Election Commission of Pakistan.
* US Implements Restrictionson Tech Investments in China over Security Worries US President Joe Biden has enacted an executive order that imposes restrictions on fresh investments from the United States into China, particularly focusing on sensitive technological domains such as computer chips. This directive confers authority upon the U.S. Treasury Secretary to impede or regulate American investments in Chinese entities operating in three specific realms: semiconductors and microelectronics, quantum information technologies, and specific artificial intelligence systems. The principal objective behind this executive order is to curtail the deployment of American resources and expertise that could potentially contribute to China's progress in technologies capable of augmenting its military capacity, thereby posing a conceivable threat to U.S. national Security. The scope of this order encompasses a variety of investment avenues, ranging from private equity and venture capital to joint ventures and nascent investment initiatives.
* National Handioom Day Celebrated with a Vision of’Sustainability & Livelihood
National Handloom Day was celebrated on 07 August 2023 with fervor at Bharat Mandapam, Pragati Maidan New Delhi echoing the resonance of India's rich heritage and modern aspirations. Prime Minister Shr, Narendra Modi launched the ‘Bhartiya Vastra evam Shilpa Kosh' e-portal designed and developed by the National Institute of Fashion Technology. This portal serves as a Unique platform for textiles and crafts knowledge, showcasing past and present textile developments and providing access to research papefs, case studies, and more. In his address, the PM underscored the remarkable increase in the annual business turnover of Khadi and village industries from approximately Rs 30,000 crore to Rs 1,30,000 crore, highlighting that the beneficiaries of this financial revolution are the weaver communities, the rural populace, and tribal societies.
*IIM Bangalore Unveils Report on Employment Impact of Jal Jeevan Mission A joint assessment by IIM Bangalore and the International Labour Organization (ILO) indicates the creation of approximately 60 lakh direct employment opportunities per year and around 2 crore indirect employment opportunities annually through the implementation of the Jal Jeevan Mission. The report titled 'Assessment of Employment Potential of Jal Jeevan Mission’ projects that employment opportunities for approximately 3 crore individuals will be generated under both micro and macro frameworks, facilitated by projects and schemesythat falls under the Mission. Meanwhile, the government Is set to launch a multi-skill course under the National Jal Jeevan Mission, in collaboration with the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship to empower individuals with diverse skill set, enhancing their prospects in the workforce.SPORTS
*India wins 26 medals at FISU World University Games In FISU (Fédération Internationale du Sport Universitaire) World University Games 2023 in Chengdu, India have won 26 medals including 11 gold, five silver, and 10 bronze. The World University Games held in the sixth largest city of China from 28 July - 8 August 2023 was the 31st edition of the biennial multi-sport event. The 2021 edition was postponed due to COVID-19. Indian contingents competed in archery, athletics, badminton, fencing, judo, shooting, swimming, table tennis, taekwondo, tennis, and volleyball.