The United States Capitol Protests, 2021, has induced calls to invoke 25th Constitutional amendment.
What is 25th Amendment of US Constitution?
The 25th Constitutional amendment lays out how a US President or a Vice President can be replaced or succeeded. It includes resolve issues revolving around unfortunate situations like death, resignation to removal of US President and actions to be followed after a President becomes disabled to such a degree that he is unable to fulfil his responsibilities. The amendment has four sections.
What are the four sections of the amendment?
- The vice president would assume the position and title of the president in the event of the resignation of the president. Which will effectively prevent the departing current from returning to office.
- The second section of the amendment includes provisions of vacancies in the office of vice president.
- the third section of the amendment provides provisions to determine that a city of presidents to discharge his powers and duties.
- The vice president can take over as acting president if the president declares his or her inability to act as president. When the president is unable to declare his or her incompetent then the fourth section of the amendment is invoked. This section requires the vice president and the cabinet to jointly prove the incompetence of the Vice-President.
- Currently, citizens and leaders of the United States of America or insisting vice president Pence to invoke this fourth section of the 25th Constitutional Amendment against President Trump.
When was the 25th US Constitutional Amendment introduced?
The 25th US Constitutional amendment was proposed in 1965 and was ratified by the states in 1967.
Has the fourth section of 25th US Constitutional Amendment invoked so far?
Why did Trump supporters storm the US Capitol?
The Trump supporters stormed the US Capitol building as Trump repeatedly asserted that the US Presidential Election, 2020, in which he lost was rigged.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs recently chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved an ambitious scheme to boost the industrial development of Jammu and Kashmir. The Government of India has allocated 28,400 crores of Rupees for the industrial development of Jammu and Kashmir scheme. The funds are to be used to develop industrial sector of the territory till 2037.
What are the key features?
- The main objective of the scheme is to generate jobs that will lead to economic development and boost industry and service later development of the union territory. This in turn will attract new investment.
- The scheme is ambitious as it offers attractions to both large and small industrial units.
What are the incentives offered by the scheme?
The scheme offers incentives as follows:
- The scheme will provide capital investment incentive at 30% in zone.
- It will provide investment incentive of 50% in Zone B. This includes investment in manufacturing and construction sector.
- The maximum limit of incentive is 5 crores of Rupees in zone a and 7.5 crores of Rupees in Zone B respectively.
- The scheme will provide interest subvention at an annual rate of 6 pc for 7 years on loan amounts up to 500 Crores of rupees.
- The GST linked incentive will be three hundred percent of the eligible value of actual investment.
- The amount of incentive provided should not exceed one tenth of the total eligible amount of incentive.
What are the employment benefits of the scheme?
The scheme is expected to attract major investments and provide 4.5 lacs of direct and indirect employment in the region.
What are the investments made by the GoI in J&K after Abrogation of Article 370?
So far, the central government has invested a total of 1123 crores of Rupees as a part of industrial policy in the region of Jammu and Kashmir.