The Astronomers have discovered the smallest black holes. It has been named as Unicorn. It is 1,500 light years away from the earth. It is the closest of all the black holes found so far.
- The Unicorn is three times the mass of the sun. Its size is tiny for a black hole.
- It appears that the Unicorn accompanies a red giant star. The scientists were able to locate the Unicorn by documenting the changes in the red giant star. This is because, the black holes are generally not visible.
- The black hole was discovered through an effect called Tidal Distortion.
Tidal Distortion occurs through gravitational interaction of an astronomical body. For instance, the tidal distortion between the Earth and the moon are higher during no moon and full moon days. The Tidal forces stretches a body along the line towards the centre of mass of another body.
Significance of Black Holes
It is highly important for the scientists to study black holes as they tell them about the way the stars form and die.
Why is a Black hole invisible?
A Black Hole is a region in space where the gravity pull is so high. The gravitational pull is so strong that even light cannot get out. The gravity pull in the region is so strong as the matter has been squeezed into a tiny space. This usually happens when a star is dying.
Are Black Holes the end stage of a star?
Yes. Most of the star material is blasted away into space during its final stages. However, the core implodes into a neutron star called the black hole.
The Government of India is to import 10,000 oxygen concentrators.
What is an Oxygen Concentrator?
An oxygen concentrator concentrates oxygen from the atmosphere.
Working of Oxygen Concentrator
- The atmospheric air has 78% of nitrogen and 21% of oxygen. The Oxygen Concentrator accumulates air, filters through a sieve sending the nitrogen back in to the air and collects oxygen alone.
- The oxygen in the oxygen concentrator is compressed and dispensed through a cannula.
- The oxygen is 90% to 95% pure.
- A pressure valve in the concentrators help to regulate the supply of oxygen from 1 to 10 litres per minute.
How is oxygen from Oxygen Concentrator different from Medical Oxygen?
- The Oxygen from the concentrators is not as pure as the Liquid Medical Oxygen. However, it is pure enough for mild and moderate COVID-19 patients. It is suitable for patients who require oxygen saturation levels of 85% or above. The Oxygen Concentrators are not advisable for ICU patients.
- The Oxygen Concentrators will provide only five to ten litres per minute. The critical patients will need 40 to 50 litres of oxygen per minute.
- The Oxygen Concentrators are portable. On the other hand, the Liquid Medical Oxygen needs to be stored and transported in cryogenic tankers.
- The Oxygen Concentrators only require a power source to draw in ambient air. On the other hand, the Liquid Medial Oxygen needs refilling.
- The Oxygen Concentrators are largely one-time investment. They require Rs 40,000 to Rs 90,000. The cylinders costs Rs 8,000 to Rs 20,000.
- The concentrators require minimal operating cost that includes electricity and routine maintenance. On the other hand, cylinders involve refilling costs and transportation costs.
The Chinese born film maker Chloe Zhao has become the first Asian woman to win the Best director at the Academy Awards. She won the award for her film Nomadland.
About Chloe Zhao
Zhao was born in China and went to a boarding school in London. She then moved to Los Angeles where she completed her high school. Her debut film was Songs My Brothers Taught me. It was premiered at Sundance Film Festival. Her second film was The Rider. It received nominations at the Independent Spirit Award for the Best Film and Best Director.
Nomadland won three major awards namely Best Director, Best Actress for Frances McDormand and Best Picture. The film is about a woman who leaves town after her husband dies. She also becomes houseless as sole industry closes down. She then lives in a van and travels around the US.
- The Academy Awards is also known as Oscars. They are awarded for artistic and technical merit in the film industry. They are considered as the most prestigious awards in the world.
- The winners are awarded with a copy of a Golden Statuette as trophy. The trophy is officially called “Academy Award of Merit”.
- The award was designed by Cedric Gibbons and sculpted by George Stanley.
- It was first presented in 1929.
India at Oscars
- Bhanu Athaiya was the first Indian to win Oscar in 1982. She won the award for Best Costume Design for the movie Gandhi.
- As of 2021, thirteen Indians were nominated for Oscars and eight have won in scientific and technical category.
Month: Current Affairs - April, 2021
Category: Art & Culture Current Affairs • Awards, Persons & Places in News
Topics: Academy Awards • chloe zhao • Nomadland • Oscar Awards • Oscars
« Previous Current AffairsNext Current Affairs »
Current Affairs MCQs PDF - August, 2021
Current Affairs [PDF] - August 16-31, 2021
Current Affairs [PDF] - August 1-15, 2021
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|